Research Square, home to American Journal Experts (AJE), is dedicated to improving the way discoveries are shared by the international research community. Our growing editing services team includes scientists, former academics, and language experts who help researchers by ensuring that their ideas are communicated clearly and accurately.
We currently have full-time opportunities for highly motivated individuals to fill the role of Academic Editor (AE). We are looking for generalist editors with a strong editing and research background in earth and life science fields. We need editors with expertise in any of the following earth science fields: geophysics, geology, geomorphology, meteorology, economic geology, seismology, agricultural engineering, and geographic information systems. We need editors with expertise in any of the following life sciences fields: ecology, plant biology, evolutionary biology, agroecology, horticulture, and forestry.
Academic Editors work from wherever is most productive for them on a schedule that suits their lives. Our employees are distributed across the United States, so we have a strong remote culture that enables team success.
Our Academic Editors have a strong background in academic research and stellar language editing skills. AEs improve the writing in academic manuscripts to a level that is appropriate for peer review. AEs edit in fields related to their expertise, and their work connects directly to our mission of helping researchers succeed.
The AE position is a challenging one as it entails delivering a high volume of consistently high quality edits (several manuscripts per day); it requires a combination of strong editing and time management skills as well as expertise in a specific field of study. Because the work is results oriented and communication is often asynchronous, written communication skills and a dash of tech savvy are a must.
Skills & Requirements
- Advanced degree required; PhD preferred
- Demonstrated ability to edit academic manuscripts in accordance with accepted publication standards
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- High level of self-motivation and personal accountability
- Extremely strong time management skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of change
- Passionate about helping researchers successfully communicate their work
- Demonstrates Research Square’s core values
- Meets workflow-specific quality standards and volume targets
- Edits in line with our scope and service goals
- Meets deadlines
- Communicates with our support, customer service, and editing teams as needed to serve our customers best and in line with team expectations
- Makes our company a better place
- Has sufficient skills and knowledge in the use of computers and associated computer technology to complete role-related tasks
- Works effectively in a dynamic environment
Who We Are
Research Square, home to American Journal Experts (AJE), is the leader in trusted and ethical author-oriented solutions in the world of academic publishing. We are a rapidly growing company, and our 290+ employees are committed to making a difference in the world of research discovery, communication, and publication. We take our work to improve the lives of researchers very seriously, but we also believe in having fun doing so! Our work environment is casual and extremely flexible. We have a results-focused workplace. Most of our team works remotely from across the US, but we do have an open office in downtown Durham, NC. The Research Square work environment is stimulating and dynamic, and the AEs are a hardworking and fun team.
Academic Editor in Earth and Environmental Sciences/Ecology (Remote)
- Full Time
- Mid Level