Rob Ross Design is pleased to offer the position of Design Assistant to select students and recent graduates who are beginning a career as a Lighting Designer. RRD employees are immersed in the full spectrum of event lighting design, with opportunities to work alongside senior designers on music festivals, fashion shows, and a variety of other live events.
Rob Ross Design offers this position in lieu of its internship program, which was made infeasible by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Design Assistantship is a re-modeled position that accommodates safe work- from-home practices. New employees will become intimately acquainted with the internal practices of a full-service lighting company by working closely with senior members of design staff. The engagement also serves as a great introduction to the RRD team and folds them into the rich roster of design staff to work on future projects.
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS AND ELIGIBILITY
The ideal candidate is a rising senior in or recent graduate from a degree program in Lighting Design for theatre or film. A team player with a creative drive and a “can-do” attitude, candidates should be eager to work on a variety of projects from inception to final execution. Ready to work in an open, collaborative environment, an RRD Design Assistant will quickly become a key asset in a growing team.
- Thorough knowledge of Vectorworks Spotlight
- A professional (non-educational) Vectorworks Spotlight license
- Working knowledge of Lightwright
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with lighting fixtures, data flow, and power distribution in entertainment lighting ü Ability and willingness to learn and work remotely
- A Dropbox account and file-sharing skills (2G Personal Account preferred)
- Availability during standard East Coast business hours
The Design Assistantships are limited engagement positions, wherein employees work intensively for a number of weeks on various projects within the design department. Under the direction and instruction of senior design staff, Design Assistants will learn the drafting standards and access the resource libraries of a full-service lighting company. They will contribute to the development and maintenance of various institutional assets and workflows.Duties may include:
- Development and maintenance of Vectorworks Resource Libraries
- Refining and organizing venue and building drawings
- Organizing and tagging archival documents
- Organizing and streamlining a photo database
- Collection and tabulation of manufacturer data into proprietary databases
Rates are commensurate with experience, with the final amount to be determined after an interview and presented in an offer letter. Offers range from $15/hr – $20/hr. 40hrs/wk typical.
Rob Ross Design will work with your educational institution to provide academic credit, if applicable. Please note: it is ultimately the decision of your educational institution to determine eligibility.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include a link to samples of drafting work and Lightwright for at least three designs, one of which must have been realized.Apply for this Job