The Assistant Controller will own the monthly close process and ensure financial statements are accurate and complete in accordance to US GAAP. You will be responsible for reviewing balance sheet account reconciliations, collaborating with internal and external business partners, performing variance analysis, providing inputs for budgeting and forecasting, and ensuring operation of key internal controls. You will also participate in special projects where technical accounting expertise is needed.
Why You’ll Love This Role:
- Reporting directly to our Controller, you will have the opportunity to own critical and highly visible financial reporting processes, building the foundation to scale and improve the quality of the close process and internal controls.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to work closely with our growing Finance team, as well as cross-functionally with leadership on our Sales, Marketing, Product, and People teams.
- Your work will help enable quality reporting and accounting operations that support the super-charged growth of our business.
- Ultimately, this growth will broaden our product’s reach and bring engaging, culturally responsive learning content to K-12 teachers and students nationwide.
Why We’ll Love You:
- You have a CPA designation and 7+ years of accounting experience, with 2+ years experience managing teams and hands-on experience with NetSuite.
- You are well-versed in full cycle accounting and GAAP requirements with a focus on expense & liability recognition, software capitalization, classification of transactions, and organization of financial statements.
- You have experience with design and testing of internal controls, managing integrations between procure to pay system(s) and ERP, and providing support for financial statement audits.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate exceptional communication and Excel skills, keen attention to detail, and a passion for perfection in their work.
- A self-starter, you’re excited about applying your expertise to a start-up where you can help to build and develop processes from scratch and implement them, and ultimately strengthen the financial reporting and controls of our fast-growing company with a mission to transform the K-12 education industry.
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child learns differently, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments and tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels — from +100 of the best sources — that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds and interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, we’ve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools and over 2.5M teachers and 37M students have registered with Newsela.Apply for this Job