Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon’s mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon’s unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country.
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion, and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The Digital Advertising Manager, reporting to the Director of Online Outreach, will contribute to the development and implementation of Audubon's digital advocacy and engagement efforts to build and maintain a community of members and advocates who take the actions needed to advance the organization’s mission.
The Digital Advertising Manager will oversee Audubon’s sophisticated paid advertising and SMS programs while supporting Audubon’s digital advocacy and engagement efforts. The Digital Advertising and Engagement Manager will be tasked with evaluating which channels, tactics, and messages are most effective for delivering on organizational goals, including advocacy campaigns. Part of this position’s time will also be allocated to the Audubon Action Fund, the 501(c)(4) affiliate to the National Audubon Society.
**A cover letter is required in order for your candidacy to be considered for this position.
- Develop and implement multi-channel digital campaigns through all steps of the process, focusing on paid efforts—including email acquisition, advocacy, persuasion, and communications—and broadcast SMS.
- Monitor campaign performance to ensure goals are being met, including reporting on and analyzing leads in both advertising platforms and Audubon’s databases.
- Create testing plans to identify best-performing creative and targeting strategies. Analyze performance and make pivots accordingly.
- Take complex environmental and policy concepts and translate them into succinct and effective copy and visuals.
- Build corresponding digital assets, such as landing pages and advocacy alerts. Source corresponding creative materials including photography and videos.
- Work closely with Conservation Policy, Climate, Marketing, and other departments to holistically manage campaigns to deliver on organizational goals.
- Balance competing needs to ensure an audience-first approach to external digital engagement
- Serve as the main contact for vendors while analyzing performance and implementing continuous improvement.
- Monitor digital trends, tools, and opportunities to stay ahead of the curve and ensure ROI of paid efforts.
- Create and distribute reports that clearly and succulently summarize campaign efforts and key learnings while making actionable recommendations.
- Support the Audubon Action Fund by creating and implementing advertising plans, drafting and deploying emails, creating social copy, and supporting other digital efforts as needed, often on a tight timeline.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field preferred. Equivalent work experience in evaluation or marketing (minimum of 7 years) will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience with analytical tools, including Google Analytics and Facebook Insights, and data-driven decision making.
- Ability to leverage third-party data tools (TargetSmart, eMarketer, etc.) to determine the most effective channels and targeting for each campaign.
- Experience with advertising platforms including Facebook Ads, Google Ads, Care2.
- Ability to manipulate and analyze data in reporting systems such as Excel.
- Experience with digital tools including CRMs (EveryAction, ActionNetwork), broadcast texting (Upland Mobile), P2P texting (GetThru, Hustle), distributed organizing (ControlShift, MobilizeAmerica), and web content management platforms a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in elevating voices, ideas, needs, and concerns of communities of color and other people historically marginalized in America and the conservation movement.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn basic HTML and CSS.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and master new technology platforms.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven writing, editing and proofreading ability.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly identify opportunities and provide recommendations on tight deadlines.
- Non-profit and/or environmental conservation experience, a plus.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings and occasional travel.
- Commitment to Audubon’s role as an evidence-based, moderate conservation organization that carries out our mission through science, political advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation.