WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the US and around the world. In the US we are looking for a Director of Digital Products to oversee our broader digital product strategy, solutions, and development across our global organizations.
You’ll deliver measurable results through digital product solutions that meet stakeholder needs and organizational goals, while managing all aspects of the product life cycle. You’ll collaborate with leaders and teams across functions, as well as digital product developers and managers, on product strategy, vision, and execution.
We want you because you’re a driven and creative digital product leader with proven success leading agile product development teams. You’re an effective collaborator, influencer, and communicator, and work well with remote teams. We have ambitious plans to achieve our mission and you should be excited to take on the challenge with us. You will especially stand out if you are passionate about THL’s mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
To start, this position reports to the Executive Vice President. This is subject to change as our team grows. This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires occasional domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 2–5 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
Oversee Digital Product Development:
- Oversee the digital product development lifecycle, from product ideation, discovery, and design all the way to development, launch, and maintenance.
- Work directly with developers and engineers to ensure that the products developed meet quality standards and provide lasting value to our mission.
- Use deep experience, with a broad range of core web development and data management practices, to guide the development of tools using popular CMSs, web frameworks, and static site generators—such as Contentful, Strapi, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, Gatsby, React, and Next.js.
- Collaborate with the team using version control (Git).
- Work directly with the team’s Project Manager to groom and prioritize the product backlogs, elicit and clearly express requirements, and plan work for incoming project and maintenance requests from stakeholders across the organization.
- Own a vast suite of digital products and be responsible for managing, evolving, and maintaining our portfolio, including developing and maintaining product roadmaps.
- Work with the Director of Digital Communications Strategy to ensure our digital platform mix meets the needs of our digital engagement strategy, guiding for the optimum cost/benefit between third-party systems and custom integrations.
- Serve as custodian for flagship platforms that underpin key digital functions within the organization, including CRMs and CMSs—to ensure they are proactively optimized, in collaboration with stakeholders, to stay ahead of current and future needs.
- Combine deep understanding of organizational needs with strategic digital leadership in order to proactively identify priority opportunities for technology to serve as an impact-multiplier to organizational and departmental goals.
- Use agile and traditional development methodologies strategically in the project and product management process to collaborate within the Digital Products Team and with other stakeholders and teams across the organization.
- Ensure quality end-user experiences across all modern browsers and platforms.
- Be willing and able to get your hands dirty directly in code, and be a resource to help developers troubleshoot high-level design and architecture challenges.
Provide Digital Strategy and Governance:
- Provide digital strategy direction to executive leadership.
- Effectively explain technical concepts to peers and leadership—translating technical jargon into non-technical language.
- Provide digital product management training to tech representatives across teams.
- Work with global teams to ensure broad and strategic perspectives are regularly incorporated into digital strategy.
Provide leadership to the Digital Products team and the organization:
- Manage, develop, and mentor a small and nimble digital products team, including product developers and a project manager. Provide vision and role clarity, leadership, coaching, training, and accountability.
- Manage the department’s budget and spending.
- Serve as a member of the US Leadership Team, responsible for setting strategy, problem-solving, and ensuring strong collaboration across the US organization.
- Serve as a member of the Global Leadership Team, contributing to strategy alignment and operational efficiency across THL’s organizations internationally.
- Occasionally represent the organization, as appropriate: speak at conferences and to the Board of Directors, maintain relationships with industry leaders, and engage in fundraising or support work with major donors.
- Leadership: Lead projects and staff with integrity and mutual respect. Motivate and inspire trust and confidence with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds and levels of experience. Must have experience leading a product team through the entire product development lifecycle.
- Communication: Write and speak clearly and effectively. Demonstrated ability to communicate with peers, project stakeholders, and product support teams in a friendly, welcoming manner, especially when introducing new processes or explaining difficult concepts. Be proactive in communicating project-specific needs and updates.
- Project Management and Organization: Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks through to completion in a timely manner. Be flexible, have strong planning, social, emotional, and organization skills. Well-versed and experienced in agile project management and product development processes—to effectively and efficiently collaborate within the Digital Products Team and with others throughout the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to anticipate needs, actively seek opportunities, and propose solutions with strong decision-making capability. Be self-directed and able to plan and coordinate many projects simultaneously, often working with ambiguous guidelines.
- Teamwork: Be creative and enjoy working within a mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented environment. Be eager and willing to collaborate closely with others in the organization, especially the ‘digital experts’ within each team, to create end-to-end digital solutions that meet our varying needs across the organization. Must be a highly resourceful team-player who works effectively with all levels of staff with the ability to also be extremely effective independently, and displays dedication to the work and role.
Starting salary $65,700 or salary to commensurate with experience.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.Apply for this Job