WP Speed Fix started helping our agency clients with WordPress speed issues and this ultimately turned into its own business. We’ve optimized over 3000 websites and help customers with their ongoing WordPress support and maintenance needs. We are looking for a remote WordPress Customer-Facing Developer. This is a permanent part-time position; Minimum of 20 hours per week but typically 40+ hours available most weeks.
What’s the opportunity?
We’re hiring another WordPress Customer-Facing Developer to help speed up our clients’ websites and assist with general WordPress support needs.
You’ll get to work on a diverse range of sites, solve problems for customers, and grow your skills on a day to day basis.
What are the day-to-day responsibilities?
- Several new site speed optimization jobs and support requests come into the system each weekday.
- This role will be responsible for working through our standard site speed optimization processes, liaising with customers accordingly, providing advice, and handling both their existing and new jobs in the system.
- Technical implementation of speed optimization plugins, tools, and processes. This includes everything and anything relating to speed including DNS migrations to Cloudflare, configuration of Cloudflare page rules and firewall settings, migrating WordPress sites off slow hosting providers to new providers, configuring page and object caching, analyzing speed test reports and determining bottlenecks and optimizations that can be deployed to improve speed timings.
- We also provide WordPress support and maintenance which includes the typical WP patching, performance monitoring as well as translating obscure customer requests into action items and solving problems for them.
What skills do you need?
- WordPress Developer level experience – you’ll be required to solve tricky WordPress technical problems and this is a technical role. This is not a marketing, webmaster or simple helpdesk role support role.
- Solid understanding of technical concepts around WordPress and web hosting including being comfortable with DNS migrations (typically we migrate to Cloudflare), zero downtime and low downtime WordPress hosting migrations and familiar with technical concepts such as page caching, Redis/Memcached object caching, CDNs and so forth
- Experience working with the technical aspects of the typical LAMP/LEMP stack and WordPress hosting providers
- Strong written communications skills as you’ll be communicating with customers via email primarily.
- Familiarity site speed tools such as Pagespeed Insights/Lighthouse (we primarily use our own tool https://app.sitespeedbot.com) as well as a mid-level understanding of speed timing metrics such as TTFB, FCP, LCP, onload time and core web vitals.
- A passion for working with both WordPress and improving WordPress performance.
- $25-35 USD per hour depending on experience.
- Autonomy – the ability to make key business decisions.
- Access to paid training, certifications, conferences.
- Direct access to the CEO/Founder (i.e. mentoring, coaching).
- We’re hiring for this role located from anywhere in the world!