Inside’s growing editorial team is ready for a Director of Research who’ll be a player/coach, leading our team of Business Researchers and writers. You’ll help strategize, create, and drive content that’s engaging and truly makes our readers smarter. In addition to writing, editing, and coaching the editorial team, you’ll also drive tests, track results, and make decisions based on the data. You’ll get your hands dirty while coaching the team to do their absolute best work.
Success is defined by results, in both subscriber and paid subscription growth as well as a happy, healthy, and high-performing team.
What we’re looking for
Half content strategist, half expert in research, data analysis, business intelligence, and market evaluation, who's passionate about reader experience. You understand the stories behind the headlines and you have deep knowledge of business, tech, and finance. You’ve managed teams of researchers across multiple time zones and FTE/freelance and have exceptional experience at a leading research firm or fast-paced media with a focus on content.
You have to be nimble enough to take on new projects, prioritize ‘minimum effort maximum results’ tasks, and solve problems in real-time with your own judgment. You’re a servant leader and work well under pressure, with limited instruction, while managing up. You love to do the hard work.
Some of what you'll do
- Oversee editorial team, lead experiments testing new content, write and edit stories, and engage with readers
- Define & understand the formula and perfect the playbook for growing our readership and delighting our subscribers through our newsletters and premium content
- Build and maintain a strategic content calendar covering multiple newsletters and industries to maximize growth AND reader happiness
- Champion new content product ideas, talk to our target audience
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including sales, marketing, and operations
- Tackle new challenges that move the needle daily. No 2 days are alike at Inside & we're big believers in Kaizen.
- Experience in research at a top research firm or fast-paced media with a focus on content.
- A strong, competitive desire to win, data-driven & results-driven
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to work in a team-based, entrepreneurial company
- Maintain composure in high-pressure situations and meeting tight deadlines
- Exceptional at learning on the fly and tackling new projects with little or no guidance
- Startup experience is a plus
- Bonus: experience working in a Business-to-Business or email newsletter environment
- You’ll work remotely, with opportunities to work from Inside’s Toronto office.
- $80k-$90k CAD