SumOfUs is looking for an Operations Associate to help ensure we have a strong foundation to win campaigns against corporations behaving badly. If you love fighting for change, if you are excited about global economic justice, and if you love developing and maintaining processes to keep teams running smoothly, then this might be the role for you.
This role will primarily focus on supporting operations at SumOfUs, keeping our virtual and global team running and organized. You will have a key role in compliance, making sure our operations are uninterrupted and following applicable regulations and laws. This role requires excellent project management skills and attention to detail, experience with nonprofit operations and/or finance, and a grounding in anti-oppression principles.
This position is full-time, remote and can be undertaken by anyone between GMT -5 (East Coast Americas) and GMT +1 (Central European Time, West Africa Time).
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 15 million people, brought together by a global team of 35 campaigners, fundraisers, and operations staff who are passionate about creating a more caring, equitable society.
We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible.
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We offer benefits including additional sick days for parents and caregivers, flexible working hours, and professional development stipends. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently. We recruit and encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Work with senior management to ensure SumOfUs’s legal, fiscal and administrative compliance including managing day-to-day compliance work (collecting signatures and tracking deadlines and renewals)
- Manage operations systems ensuring they are running smoothly and issues are quickly resolved including with Google Workspace, Zoom, and Slack
- Assist with basic accounting tasks such as generating reports or entering bills into our accounting system (Quickbooks)
- Create and maintain systems to keep the operations work organized, streamlined and up-to-date including maintaining an organized filing system
- Manage contracts and our contract management system, including drafting new contracts from a standard template and coordinating signatures
- Track, research and resolve operations issues as they arrive
- Perform administrative support work within the department including managing incoming mail from online mailboxes, coordinate meeting times, manage calendars and data entry
- Maintain knowledge of operations best practices, trends, laws, regulations, and technology to support our global work and work with the operations team to apply them at SumOfUs
- Continually work with Operations department to streamline processes and systems in line with best practices in the field
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that’s all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work community
- Able to work remotely (SumOfUs provides funds to set-up a home office or to work from a co-working space)
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Have at least 2-3 years of experience in Operations and/or Finance
- Have excellent organizational skills, be able to track multiple moving pieces of work
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to “manage up,” keeping leadership and stakeholders on track to meet deadlines with the resources they need; a friendly pest to keep the administrative functions of the organization running smoothly
- Be able to handle sensitive information with integrity and maintain confidentiality of HR related information
- Be comfortable with technology, learning and figuring out new systems, then providing support to team members
- Anticipate and manage operational needs of staff in an entirely virtual environment, working in different countries
- Be willing to learn and approach challenges with curiosity and from a solutions based mindset
- Have a strong equity lens, understand oppression, and bring anti-oppression principles into all aspects of work
- Be familiar with applicable best practices, rules, and laws in operations and compliance, and navigate operating in several countries (note: you will not be expected to know the laws in all the countries we operate in, but will be expected to be able to raise questions and challenge assumptions you may have based on how things are done in your home country)
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to navigate working across multiple time zones
We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences – you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Experience working with a nonprofit organization with employees in several countries, especially if you’re based outside the US
- Familiarity with compliance and regulations for US-based 501(c)(3) and (c)(4) organizations
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Experience with Box
- Experience managing Google Workspace
- Experience working at a nonprofit
- Fluency in French, German, or Spanish
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. (For some context: this position in New York City would pay $43,000-$54,000 USD and in Paris would pay between €37,000-€46,000 EUR per year depending on experience and seniority; the compensation level will be adjusted in other regions based on cost of living.)
SumOfUs is a fully remote and distributed team, as such we offer stipends to offset cell phone and internet costs. We offer stipends to set-up home offices or to rent space in a coworking environment. We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months paid parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our leave policies and other, similar benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to racial equity and social justice.Apply for this Job