This position is in the Peripheral Vascular Health (PVH) Operating Unit, which is one of the fastest growing businesses in the entire Medtronic portfolio. The PVH product portfolio contains innovative endovascular treatment devices for the peripheral vasculature (arteries and veins) that alleviate pain, restore health, and significantly improve the quality of life for patients.
Join a diverse team of innovators who bring their worldview, their unique backgrounds, and their individual life experiences to work every day. It’s no accident —we work hard to cultivate a workforce that reflects our patients and partners. We believe it’s the only way to drive healthcare forward and remain a global leader in medical technology and solutions.
Careers That Change Lives
The Medical Writer will partner with the PVH Scientific Communications Managers & Specialists to execute clinical evidence dissemination plans with focus on the publication and podium needs of assigned therapeutic areas and/or products within Medtronic. Evidence dissemination plans are aligned with clinical strategy and Medtronic business objectives. This position will be responsible for the creation of scientific documents, including medical writing of scientific manuscripts/abstracts, development of podium/poster presentations, and development of other scientific materials which communicate clinical trial-related evidence to the physician community. The ideal candidate will possess advanced scientific knowledge and a demonstrated medical writing skill set.
The PVH Scientific Communications group is based in Minneapolis, MN, USA (US Central time zone); however, we are a global team also partnering with scientific leaders and colleagues in Europe and Asia-Pacific. This candidate will need to be flexible with work schedule dependent on candidate’s location. The position will require occasional travel (occasional scientific conferences or programs, quarterly team meetings); volume will be dependent on candidate’s location.
A Day In The Life
- Partner with PVH Scientific Communication Managers & Specialists to execute clinical evidence dissemination plans with focus on publication and podium needs of assigned therapeutic areas and/or products within Medtronic.
- Prepare documents that support publication needs of assigned therapeutic areas or products. Write, edit, review and/or submit scientifically complex documents including abstracts, manuscripts, and podium presentations in partnership with physician clinical trial investigators. Ensure all Medtronic PVH sponsored publications and scientific presentations meet ethical publication guidelines (ICMJE), as well as Medtronic’s internal publication standards and compliance policies.
- Develop content (PowerPoint presentations) for Medtronic-sponsored virtual and/or “in person” educational symposia held at scientific conferences; manage the logistics of virtual programs in collaboration with the PVH Scientific Communication Managers & Specialists.
- Drive use of and contribute to the improvement of the manuscript development process and tools for PVH. Ensure all required documentation is in place for each project.
- Design literature searches using relevant key words, execute literature searches in collaboration with the Medtronic Knowledge Center, analyze results and write literature summaries as needed (related to manuscript or scientific communication activities).
- Develop & maintain bibliographies and data comparison tables.
- Develop and maintain an accessible repository for relevant Medtronic and competitive literature, including journal articles, abstracts, and presentations as requested by the Scientific Communication Managers/Specialists.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on metrics related to PVH medical writing services to Scientific Communication Managers/Specialists, Directors, and key business partners.
- Support activities of the Scientific Communications team at medical device congresses (virtual or “in person”), as assigned. This may include attending publication planning meetings with investigators in Medtronic clinical trials, executing Medtronic-sponsored symposia, and covering relevant scientific sessions.
- Follow the Medtronic Code of Conduct, the Scientific Communication Department Operating Procedures, and the ICMJE, GPP3, and ADVAMED guidelines.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 2 years of scientific writingexperience,
- Or advanced degree with 0 years of experience
Nice To Have
- PhD or PharmD with 2+ years of relevant experience (medical device, bio-tech, pharmaceutical industry, or similar)
- Demonstrated scientific writing experience
- Knowledge of clinical research methodology, tools, processes, and regulations
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret scientific data
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite software, Adobe software, and EndNote Reference software
- Adept in performing literature searches in Pubmed and other relevant platforms
- Expertise in literature identification and analysis
- Understanding of statistical methods
- Fast learner & self-starter – motivated to look for opportunities to improve existing processes or methods, gain alignment, and implement
- Collaborative, team mentality
- Attention to detail & deadlines
- Ability to independently coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to build and foster relationships with KOLs and key business stakeholders
- Advanced presentation and computer skills
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
A commitment to our employees lives at the core of our values. We recognize their contributions. They share in the success they help to create. We offer a wide range of benefits, resources, and competitive compensation plans designed to support you at every career and life stage.
Learn more about our benefits: benefits.medtronic.com
This position is eligible for a short-term incentive plan. Learn more about Annual Salary and Medtronic Incentive Plan (MIP) on Page 6 here.Apply for this Job