IGN’s tech team is looking for a new content creator to help us cover the technology beat. While IGN is primarily known for games, movies, and television/streaming, we’ve been steadily expanding our coverage of PC hardware, VR, phones, TVs, audio equipment, and much more. Our goal is to bring all of that to our broad audience in a way that makes it accessible as well as informative and highly useful through reviews, news, analysis and explainer features, and buyers’ guides, among other things.
Based in either the US or UK, you’ll be working directly under the executive editor of tech, but will also collaborate with the news team, the features team, and a pool of freelancers to pitch, create, and manage great content across the site. You’ll be part of a team, but much more than a cog in a content machine: IGN editors have wide latitude to be creative and approach their beats from new angles.
IGN’s editorial team is made up of all kinds of people that share a common love of games, TV, movies, comics, tech, and all things geeky. We strongly encourage people of every race, gender, sexual orientation, and background to apply.
- Writing reviews of tech products ranging from console gaming peripherals and PC components to TVs and phones in a tone that strikes a comfortable balance between authoritative and relatable.
- Regularly seeking out and covering tech news and feature stories, adapting tech news to resonate with our gaming and entertainment-focused audience.
- Pitch new and innovative ways to reinvigorate old-fashioned tech stories across IGN’s many platforms and social channels to build and excite new audiences everywhere from Instagram to Pinterest.
- Helping to manage freelance writers working on tech review projects, including editing their work and building articles in the IGN CMS.
- Maintaining and updating buyers’ guides with current and useful reviews and information.
- You have strong editorial opinions and excellent writing skills yourself, as well as experience in editing and giving constructive feedback on other writers’ work.
- You’re detail oriented and a diligent fact-checker.
- You have deep knowledge of consumer electronics products and experience evaluating them with a critical eye.
- You’re embedded in the worlds of tech and gaming, and can spot a story amid the noise.
- You have established contacts in the tech industry.
- You understand IGN’s voice and how to write for our audience.
It would be extra awesome if…
- You have in-depth knowledge of console hardware.
- You know your way around benchmarking software and can analyze results.
- You have good camera presence and can speak extemporaneously on games and entertainment-related topics, in addition to tech.
- You’re based in London, Los Angeles, or San Francisco – or can get to our offices in those cities when required.
- You can optimize your pieces for both search and organic discovery.
- You have regularly covered trade shows and conventions.
- You’ve appeared on podcasts.
- You have a degree in journalism or relevant media topic.
If you think this sounds like the job for you, please apply, and make sure to provide a resume, cover letter, and at least three writing samples that you think show your aptitude for the role. (If you’re having any issues uploading multiple documents, feel free to combine them into one.)Apply for this Job