RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. Our customers are leading-edge innovators in analytics, machine learning, big data, and similar domains and generally work in R and Python.
We are currently seeking an experienced technical support manager to lead a creative and collaborative team of talented support engineers. The successful candidate will be a servant-leader, dedicated to supporting the team’s efficacy, efficiency, and growth as we tackle both product and operational topics related to customer service. You will guide day-to-day support functions, drive process improvements that benefit both the customer and the team, coach support engineers in their career development, work directly with customers to understand their needs, foster a collaborative and open team culture, and contribute to strategic decisions about the future of the customer experience with RStudio. We value critical thinking and creative problem solving, and are especially interested in hearing from curious, meticulous individuals with great follow-through.
This position is fully remote; the location is flexible within the United States and Canada.
The overriding goal is to ensure that the team continues to provide consistently excellent service to our customers while maintaining a healthy and collaborative environment for the team. While we want to help customers as quickly as possible, we prioritize comprehensive problem resolution over response times, and are dedicated to continuous improvement along the way.
- Hire, onboard, train, and develop a team of 10+ support engineers spread across multiple geographies, including Europe, North America, and Australia
- Manage a highly technical staff that includes former engineers and systems administrators, who are tasked with answering challenging questions from a range of users from IT administrators to data scientists to students
- Streamline workflows for handling customer requests to ensure the best possible experience for the customer, the support engineer, and any escalation staff
- Direct or enable process optimization; identify opportunities for improving team operations with an eye toward better, simpler, faster ways to accomplish common tasks
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within and beyond the support team, to enable informed and timely responses to customer requests
- Deal gracefully with customer issues that require mediation or special handling
- Drive or enable cross-team projects with Sales, Marketing, Solutions Engineering, and Product Engineering, to optimize the customer experience with both our products and our people
- Collaborate on reporting assets and ticket trend analysis to drive product and process improvement
- Contribute to our long-term support strategy, thinking critically about what we’re doing, what we could be doing better, and how to make the customer experience effortless across the company
- Foster and enhance our empowered and collaborative team culture
- 5+ years in software customer support, IT support, or a related field
- 2+ years hiring and managing technical staff with software engineering, IT, or systems administration profiles
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Deep customer empathy and a strong commitment to the highest possible quality in products, services, and processes
- Comfort engaging with both customers and internal teams at all levels
- Direct experience or strong interest in making data-driven process improvements
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and good grace under pressure
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy