All USA Baseball employees will operate under a remote work plan for the 2021 season. All employees will be expected to work remotely during regular business hours. USA Baseball will implement strict COVID-19 guidelines for all events in 2021 in order to protect the long-term health and safety for its employees and participants.
Position Background:The Director of Player Identification serves as a key member of the baseball operations leadership team which includes the General Manager of National Teams, Senior Director of Baseball Operations and Director of Player Development.This individual will lead the organization’s identification and selection of athletes for the Appalachian League, MLB Draft Combine, 18U National Team, PDP League, PDP Premier events, and the 16U/17U National Team Development Program.The Director of Player Identification will also serve as the liaison between Major League Baseball, the 30 MLB Clubs and USA Baseball on the identification and selection of athletes for these programs.This is a high-profile and detail oriented position for one of the premier National Governing Bodies (NGB) in the United States with a full-time team of 33 and an annual operating budget of approximately $20M.Position Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Commissioner’s Office, the 30 MLB Clubs and USA Baseball for the identification and selection of athletes for the Appalachian League and the organization’s 18U programs.
- Chair selection committees for the Appalachian League and 18U programs, including the MLB Draft Combine and PDP League.
- Develop and implement an organization-wide scouting and athlete-tracking system which can be implemented across all national teams and programs.
- Create and file internal scouting reports on all national team players and athletes at select events.
- Analyze and provide feedback on hitter and pitcher deficiencies using reports and emerging technologies.
- Assist in the development of the itinerary/schedule for the MLB Draft Combine and the PDP League.
- Engage and communicate with national team players during the season and offseason.
- Work with the organization’s Senior Director of Technology to identify new technologies which can be integrated into the organization’s scouting program.
- Work with national team coaches across all programs on player selection and on-field strategy.
- Travel to MLB Youth Development Events and national team identification events throughout the United States and to international competitions.
- On-site scouting during the 16U/17U National Team Development Program, PDP League, and 18U National Team Trials, which will feed the selection process for the 18U National Team.
- Minimum of five years of amateur scouting experience with a Major League Baseball Club.
- Strong knowledge of the 2022, 2023 and 2024 MLB Draft classes.
- Complete understanding of advanced hitting and pitching analytics and how to apply them to scouting reports.
- Demonstrated experience with technology platforms including Diamond Kinetics, Rapsodo, and Trackman.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with sensitive athlete data.
- Ability to manage a diverse project load, maintain attention to detail, and regularly communicate and build strong, positive relationships with staff.
- Maintain flexible and adaptable work schedule for changing organizational needs.
- 10+ years of amateur scouting experience with a Major League Baseball Club.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Professional or collegiate playing or coaching experience.
- Management experience in the non-profit sector.
- Previous event management leadership experience.
About USA Baseball:USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women’s National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.USA Baseball is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of USA Baseball to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.Apply for this Job