Chromatic is a digital agency with over a decade of experience creating websites. Using open source technologies, Chromatic is a recognized leader in open source content management systems. We’ve helped some of the web’s biggest brands solve hard problems in publishing, e-commerce, and non-profit spaces. We provide leadership and expertise to our clients through design, back-end development, and automation.
We are looking for a qualified digital project manager to join our team. You will be supporting the day-to-day management and smooth operation of a wide variety of projects and support retainers across the organization.
- Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000 USD, commensurate with experience
- Manager: Katie High, Director of Client Services
- Timeline: We hope to fill this position by the end of February. If interested, please submit your application by Sunday, February 7th.
Typical Day in the Life
This project manager will be on the front lines of Chromatic’s projects, ranging from enterprise site builds to monthly maintenance retainers. A typical day in the life of this PM will consist of facilitating status meetings, ticket grooming, documenting notes and decisions, and communicating project health/status reports to clients and Chromatic leadership. This person will work alongside our Director of Client Services to ensure the success of our projects and to maintain/grow our client relations.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Monitor and report on project budgets and hours.
- Monitor team and contractor timesheets.
- Plan and facilitate meetings.
- Follow up on tasks and open items.
- Create and maintain project timelines.
- Quality assurance support for all deliverables.
- Produce various reports (status reports, budget, etc).
- Contribute to project documentation (i.e. Project Briefs, Functional Requirements, etc).
- Prioritize tickets and general sprint planning/grooming.
- Help clients make informed decisions regarding project scope.
- Resource planning.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Organize project communications and assets.
- Balance client needs with internal team needs.
- Collaborate to support monthly invoicing.
- Proven work experience (at least 3+ years) as a project manager within digital services.
- A practical understanding of content management systems.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Hands-on experience with ticketing systems such as Jira or GitHub.
Nice to Have
- SCRUM certification.
- Experience with time tracking.
- Experience managing a remote team that is distributed across time-zones.
- Agency experience.
The right person for this role…
- Is always seeking out ways to improve.
- Can deftly manage their time (and others’).
- Can juggle multiple initiatives at once.
- Loves lists and spreadsheets.
- Uses critical thinking to inform prioritization.
- Sweats the details but doesn’t get lost in them.
- Is a problem solver.
- Is never afraid to ask questions.
- Learns to anticipate client and team needs.
- Is self-motivated with an entrepreneurial work ethic.
- Is comfortable leading discussions, even the hard ones.
- Is eager to learn and own projects end-to-end.
- Is rarely defensive with others.
If you are on the fence about any of the individual job requirements but feel as though you are qualified and would be a good fit for this position, please apply! Willingness to learn, collaborative work style, and core value alignment is much more important to us than checking off boxes. Your application is welcome.
Some other important traits
- Chromatic is a completely distributed team – strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are of the utmost importance.
- The desire and ability to brainstorm ideas, do research, remain current with industry trends and best practices.
- Enthusiasm, personality, teamwork, and a positive attitude count tremendously.
- Candidates are encouraged to include a short, introductory video with their application. Don’t overthink it!
What sets Chromatic apart from a typical job?
- Work from wherever you want, whenever you want: Our office is completely distributed, you may work from wherever is best for you. We encourage our team members to work when it is most effective so they’ll do their best work, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect our team to usually be available during this time.
- Reasonable Bookings: We book our team members with a max of 30-35 hours per week for project work. We believe more than that is asking too much. The other 5-10 hours is reserved for team meetings, community contribution, and professional/skill development.
- Exciting Projects: Chromatic consistently participates in projects with exciting, high-profile brands and some of the most highly trafficked sites on the web; some of which include Outside Magazine, Martha Stewart, NBC / MSNBC, Shape, Casper, State Farm, Adobe.
- Workflow: We firmly believe in a strong, consistent deployment workflow. We insist on proper code reviews on all of our projects. This not only ensures excellent code quality but more so, makes us all better at our jobs.
- Team & Culture: We work and support each other as a team. We make an effort to get together as often as possible and support each other personally and professionally at every opportunity.
- Flexible Work Week: Chromatic offers a flexible workweek schedule for interested team members when clients/project specifics allow it.
Benefits & Perks
- Paid Time Off: Chromatic offers PTO as follows:
- At hire: 15 days
- 2 years: 20 days
- 5 years: 22 days
- 7 years: 22 days + Sabbatical (see below)
- 10 years: 25 days
- In addition to these PTO days, Chromatic offers 5 Sick Days per year and additional time off for events such as jury duty, bereavement, parental leave, and paid holidays.
- Holidays: Chromatic is closed on the following US holidays:
- New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day
- MLK Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day & Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Sabbaticals: Chromatic offers a 4-week sabbatical to all full-time employees after their seventh anniversary. Our sabbaticals are intended to allow team members extended time to rest both their bodies and their minds away from work and outside of normal vacation/PTO time and are accompanied by a generous sabbatical stipend.
- Parental Leave: Chromatic offers the first two weeks of parental leave at 100% pay, and the next 2 weeks of parental leave at 50% pay.
- Health Insurance: Chromatic provides competitive medical/dental/vision insurance through United Healthcare, covering 100% of the cost for employees and 25% of the cost for dependents.
- Disability Insurance: Chromatic offers both short and long-term disability insurance.
- Life Insurance: All employees are provided with a term life insurance policy.
- 401(k): Chromatic provides employees a 401(k) plan with a 4% employer contribution (no match required) and immediate vesting.
- Donation Matching: Chromatic is proud to offer a Donation Matching Program for our team members. We will match donations to a 501(c)3 organization dollar for dollar, up to $50 per month for a total of $600 annually.
- Hardware: Chromatic encourages our team members to choose the system that they prefer and we ensure everyone has up-to-date equipment/software.
- Book Allowance: Chromatic supports building your skills – and your library – and grants each team member an annual book allowance.
- Conferences: Chromatic frequently sends team members to attend and speak at industry conferences. Employees are encouraged to seek out conference opportunities to grow their skills and personal networks.
- Company Retreat: Once a year, we gather the entire company to spend quality time together away from our desks – usually somewhere quite beautiful.
- National Parks Pass: In between retreats explore your country’s beautiful scenery with a park pass on Chromatic.
- Streaming Music Subscription: Music is important to us; we provide a Spotify subscription (or your preferred equivalent) for all of our employees.
Chromatic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.Apply for this Job