We're interested in longform written content (1500-3500 words), deep-dives on specific topics and perspectives on Hip Hop dance that people cannot find anywhere else.
The tone of voice should be accessible and informed.
It might be an essay, history, institutional critique, commentary or lifestyle piece, it might sit across all those fields or it might ignore all of them and be something different. It can also be celebratory, filled with kindness and totally joyous.
We welcome the personal, political and social. We will publish in English but English does not have to be your first language.
You do not have to be a “writer” or a “dancer” or a “Hip Hop OG” to submit something; if your idea is strong and you can explain who you are and how you'll go about it, it will be considered.
The Hip Hop Dance Almanac (HHDA) is a media platform, committed to commissioning and archiving the stories and voices of people working in Hip Hop dance in the UK and internationally.
Through our online and print publications the HHDA is addressing the imbalance and misrepresentation of the culture; it will platform primary testimonies, original writing, creative and editorial responses and experimental word formats.
In 2016 City University London conducted a survey which found that the UK journalistic landscape is 94% white and 55% male; the HHDA seeks to redress this imbalance in what stories are told and who gets to tell them.
- We are accepting pitches till 11:59pm (BST) on 31/5/21
- Hip Hop Dance Almanac only accepts pitches via this form
- Payment £150 – £350 per article (dependent on length)
- We pay promptly upon invoicing. 50% of agreed fee on article submission and 50% on publication
If we accept your pitch we will back in touch in June 2021 to send further details including: submission deadline, terms and conditions, editing policy and licence and copyright.
As this is an international call out please do not expect to hear back on your pitch unless we decide to commission you; we are rarely able to offer individual feedback on unsuccessful submissions.
At this time we're not interested in receiving photo essays and pitches which primarily feature video and audio content.
- Please do not start writing your piece before it has been commissioned.
- Here are some examples of what to include in a pitch: example one, example two and example three
- Which title would you be more tempted by: “Hip Hop Dance Almanac Pitch” or “Beyond Breaking – how krump is taking over Mexico”?
- Sometimes we aren’t able to commission ideas due to capacity/budgets; please pitch again in the future.
If you have any further questions or would like to request this information in alternative formats do not hesitate to email the editor (Ian Abbott) itabbott (@) gmail.comApply for this Job